t.i. + 2008 election + cute kids = full of win.
last week, while i was working tirelessly on my second prelim paper, y’all were playing a fun game of blog tag that i kept up on, but didn’t have a chance to participate in. this is late to say the least, but i’m slowly catching up on life outside of exam-writing…for the time being. i still have another one to go. the lovely queer rose and colleen both tagged me so i’ll do a total of 14 random facts to satisfy the masses. here goes:
The Rules are:
1. Link to your tagger(s): Queer Rose, Colleen, and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog – some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blog.
4. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
1. i can’t sleep with my feet under the covers. whether it’s 90 degrees outside or -30, my feet are always sticking out from under the sheets and blankets when i sleep. my feet get hot really easily and i hate, hate, hate feeling all stuck. someone sweet once told me feet were like “little furnaces.”
2. i’m addicted to daily, online comics. i never knew i was such a dork and frequently made fun of an ex who used to read whole comic books, but dinosaur comics, xkcd, natalie dee, married to the sea, and toothpaste for dinner make my day.
3. this whole academia thing is a total front. what i really want to do is move to portland and open a bakery with my mom called “two tough cookies.” the boxes would be hot pink and would somehow incorporate our home state of new jersey (thus the “tough” in the cookies!). our specialty would be cream puffs.
4. when i was five years old i was possibly nearly kidnapped. i was visiting family on long island and my cousins and i went out for a bike ride except they were all older and on two wheelers and i was still peddling around a tricycle. they got too far ahead of me and i lost them and was by myself wandering the streets and crying because i wasn’t a city kid at the time and didn’t understand the concept of a block (i.e. if you make 4 lefts you wind up where you started). some old man told me he’d take me home and offered me junior mints. i dropped the bike and ran screaming down the sidewalk. i suppose he could have just wanted to help a hysterical child on the street.
5. i really like invoking catchy phrases from generations past: i.e. “rat bastard” when someone is a total jerk, “schtoopin’” for doin’ it, and “wreck of the hesperus” for someone who looks a total mess.
6. for the most part, the people closest to me, are the ones furthest away geographically. that makes my heart ache a little bit.
7. the third day of kindergarten, i received a black eye from a boy whom i notified could not continue playing with me at the dollhouse if he was going to continue throwing the furniture out of the house and across the room.
8. the next day, when he was walking down the bus steps in front of me, i grabbed onto the railing, hoisted my tiny leg outwards and kicked him off the last two steps. he didn’t talk to me again until high school.
9. you know that line in the classic film, “the parent trap” where hayley mills is sniffing her grandfather’s coat as she’s embracing him and he asks her what she’s doing and she replies, “i’m making a memory. years from now, when i’m all grown up, i’ll remember my grandfather and how he always smelled of peppermint and pipe tobacco”? i do that all the time with the people i love. most don’t notice cause i’m stealthy.
10. i’m not one who believes we have a “love of our life” or any kind of meow meow like that, but sometimes when i’m not even thinking about the future or relationships, i get this overwhelming sense of a person i haven’t yet met who i just know is going to knock me off my feet. i feel you out there, in the universe, and i like it. i’m onto you.
11. i feel like i might have to give in and just realize i’m never going to be one of those femmes who can apply false eyelashes. it’s a blow to the ego, but i think i’ll make it. can’t someone on the femme’s guide give a tutorial?
12. one of my proudest achievements, which i buried under memories as having been nothing big and or exciting, is that at the age of 15 i designed and ran a riot grrrl website which received tons of traffic and led to me publishing a weekly digest of national riot grrrl news, book reviews, cd reviews, events etc. to about 100 readers. i don’t know how or why i forgot about how awesome this was until about a year ago.
13. i am a clasically trained pianist who passed on her audition at julliard because she wanted to study gender studies instead. my parents didn’t talk to me for a week.
14. my very first “girl crush” was on sue milliken, a t.v. chef on the former show “too hot tamales.” i didn’t even know she was a big ol’ d then, but i knew there was something i liked about her and found desirable. now she kinda just reminds me of ani difranco. also, what person in the early, early teenage years finds t.v. chefs attractive? weirdo.
because i’m a week late, i’m not going to tag anyone, but feel free to comment and link your list here if you’re self-tagging. xo for now, friends! i promise i’ll crawl out from under my rock here and there. i’ve been working on a post in my head for the past few days entitled, “what i will do with my life post-prelims.” “blog more,” is near the top.
this isn’t going to become one of *those* kind of blogs – a lady-obssessed-with-her-cat blog. but seriously, guys, how cute is lula when i put her in a homemade dress made by one of my best friends in the whole wide world, emily, and i?! needless to say the dresses we attempted to make for ourselves aren’t nearly as post-worthy. hussy red is a lot of things, but one of those things is definitely not a seamstress. huzzah! onto the kitteh pic!
em, we misssssssss you.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: butch, dynamic, femininity, femme, silly, swooning, writing
you were laying back on my couch, that carefree way you do when you’re relaxed, at home, contentedly in the presence of so much girl. your arms were behind your head, ankles crossed, your bare feet on top of my lap. i was polishing my nails a second coat of “big apple red” between loving threats – you, to smudge the color on my wobbly left hand and me, warning that i would not hesitate to paint your toes in retaliation.
we’ve sat like this fifty times now you and i, but tonight you finally asked: “why that color always?” it wasn’t criticism, but genuine inquiry. i know i smiled and you detected it, but all i could do was shrug and murmur something about matching lipstick before trailing off.
do you want to know the truth? those prior forty-nine times i’d waited for you to ask. i had it planned in my head, the blush of your cheeks, when i’d tell you oh-so-sweetly and truthfully that it was nothing more than my love of contrasting colors: the bold, bossy red of my fingernails zigzagging through the black-as-night hairs that cover your scalp when you’re hovering above me, my hands – at least for that moment – free.
Filed under: awesomeness, fun, pop culture, silly, yay | Tags: awesomeness, fun, pop cultures, silly, yay
the brilliant kids of the good asian drivers tour have put together a parody to the obnoxious hot mess that is katy perry‘s chart-topping single, “i kissed a girl.” big love to them for being so clever and making the video we all actually wanted to see in the first place. also, it’s chock full of total hotness. ch-ch-check it out!
stolen from leo maccool at butch girlcat.
1. Where is your cell phone? piano
2. Your significant other? nix
3. Your hair? cherry
4. Your mother? heart
5. Your father? morose
6. Your favorite time of day? dusk
7. Your dream last night? disappointing
8. Your favorite drink? tea
9. Your dream goal? calm
10. The room you’re in? warm
11. Your ex? unsatisfied
12. Your fear? letdown
13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? stronger
14. What you are not? regretful
15. Your Favorite meal? spaghetti
16. One of your wish list items? fishnets
17. The last thing you did? counseled
18. Where you grew up? n-e-wjerz
19. What are you wearing? boyshorts
20. Your TV is? sleeping
21. Your pets? lovepig
22. Your computer? bed
23. Your life? stressful
24. Your mood? ornery
25. Missing someone? always
26. Your car? pig
27. Something you’re not wearing? socks
28. Favorite store? evans
29. Your summer? solace
30. Your favorite color? fuschia
31. When is the last time you laughed? today
32. When is the last time you cried? monday
33. Your health? good
34. Your children? nay
35. Your future? promising
36. Your beliefs? changing
37. Young or old? both
38. Your image? charming
39. Your appearance? flirty
40. Would you live your life over again knowing what you know? depends
my own addition:
41. Song for right now?
happy friday, y’all. xo.