Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: awesomeness, barack obama, election 2008, for the win!, fun, things that are le awesome, yay
y’all, we have a soon-to-be-president and first lady who give daps*.
that’s hot. just sayin’.
*conservatives, you might be familiar with daps as “a terrorist fist jab.”
also, sorry about that whole “sweeping the election” thing.
xo, hussy red.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: academia, anthology, awesomeness, fatness, queer, writings
i’m currently in the process of sending out the second round of calls for submissions for my anthology project, “Spilling Over: A Fat, Queer Anthology.” in the event that any femme FATale readers are interested in submitting, i’m reposting the call for submissions here. drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested! also, please feel free to link back to this, share it in your reader, or send your friends the anthology’s myspace link. i’m trying to get the word out about this as much as i can. thanks! xoxo.
Call for Submissions
Working Title: Spilling Over: A Fat, Queer Anthology
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2008
Despite the attention given by queer studies to the materiality of bodies and the cultural and social inscriptions that designate them, still a dearth of both scholarship and literature exists around intersections of gender, sexuality, and fatness. As fat studies begins to emerge as a viable academic location of inquiry, questions surface as to how fat bodies, deemed “excessive” in their trespasses of size and space, create even more complex subject positions when compounded by queer desires. This proposed anthology seeks contributions addressing junctions of “fat” and “queer” in pieces that consider the representations and resistances of non-normative corporeality and also writings considering the theoretical conceptions of these intricate subjectivities. Spilling Over will reflect the notions of excess, boundaries, and containment implied by the labels “fat” and “queer” both singularly and collectively. In the form of scholarly writing and creative non-fiction pieces, essay submissions might consider (but are not limited to):
• theorizing the concept of “excess” as it pertains to fatness and queerness
• fat and queer identities; personal narratives; reclaiming “fat” and “queer”
• notions of (in)visibility, hypervisibility, and passing and/or privilege
• intersections of race, class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, (dis)ability, age, and religion
• the economics of the obesity “epidemic” and the diet industry
• fat, queer art and performance; performativity
• pleasure, sex-positivity, eroticizing non-normative bodies
• acceptance movements, political activism, resistance
• the engagement of feminism with fatness
• global, transnational, transcultural constructions of fat, queer bodies and lives
• critical reflections of fatness and queerness in media, literature, film, music, and visual arts
• the rhetoric of fat oppression, fatphobia, homophobia, transphobia, bigotry, responding to and/or addressing hate speech
By December 1, 2008, please send your 2,000 – 6,000 word submission, along with your complete contact information and a 50-100 word biography, to email@example.com with the subject line of “Spilling Over – Submission.” Submissions must be received in 12 point Times New Roman font and sent in via Word documents (PDFs will not be accepted). Pieces will be reviewed and decisions made by April 2009. Please note that accepted submissions will be approved on a tentative basis, pending editorial board approval once the anthology has secured a publisher.
Please distribute widely.
Filed under: awesomeness, fun, pop culture, silly, yay | Tags: awesomeness, fun, pop cultures, silly, yay
the brilliant kids of the good asian drivers tour have put together a parody to the obnoxious hot mess that is katy perry‘s chart-topping single, “i kissed a girl.” big love to them for being so clever and making the video we all actually wanted to see in the first place. also, it’s chock full of total hotness. ch-ch-check it out!